- This is not current immigration instructions -
S3.5 Categories of refugee and protected persons (29/11/2010)
- New Zealand provides assistance to two categories of refugee:
- Mandate refugees (people determined to be refugees by the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) before arrival in New Zealand); and
- Convention refugees (people given refugee status by the New Zealand Government under the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and the 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees (see C2.5)).
- The Government sets the number of places available for Mandate refugees under the Refugee Quota (currently 750 persons per year).
- New Zealand also provides assistance to people given protection status in accordance with certain obligations under the 1984 Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment or the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.