- The objective of the Skilled Migrant Category is to provide for the grant of a resident visa to people who demonstrate that they:
- have skills to fill identified needs and opportunities in New Zealand; and
- are able to transfer those skills to New Zealand and link with local needs and opportunities; and
- are able to demonstrate an ability to contribute to New Zealand both economically and socially; and
- are able to demonstrate an ability to successfully settle in New Zealand.
- In meeting this objective the Skilled Migrant Category will maximise and accelerate the contribution of immigration to New Zealand's:
- capacity building, sustainable growth and innovation;
- global connectedness; and
- thriving and inclusive communities
through focusing on a range of source regions to achieve a balanced programme and linking global talent with local opportunities.